Saturday, January 31, 2009

Self Taught?

So, I've finally started to get myself together and attempt to be a self-taught children & family photographer. As anyone who knows me, this has been a dream of mine for a long time, but it hasn't been the right time for me (mostly because my life before mommy-hood involved ALOT of travel with my job....). Anyways, I'm a little nervous to put myself out there. But in about two months, we are closing on our old house (finally, I know!) and that will free up some funds for us to start to finish our basement.

Brannon wants to make part of the basement his recording studio & I want to make another part of it my photography studio. I'm super excited. I hope to take lots of pictures in the next year to build my portfolio. I have soooo many friends having babies, that this is the perfect time. I plan to do lots of freebies for my friends as I'm learning my ropes and building a portfolio. Then.....if the shots turn out good & if it turns out I have any talent (can you feel my self doubt in abundance!?!?) then I'll have a good portfolio to start actually charging people to do what I love.

Of course, Mackenzie will have to put up with a TON of her own photo sessions in the coming years. So far (from my first "session" with her last week) she thought it was fun. Mommy on the ground with her for an extended period of time....not trying to get chores done was super fun for her! Pray that I won't succumb to what a personality test I took one time said about me......that I tend to start projects and not finish them......

Here's one of the best photos to come out of our first "shoot". Not bad, but I do need some back drops so that there would be more contrast between Mackenzie & the wall...... Lots to learn, folks....be patient!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Great job! What kind of camera do you have? I've also dabbled a bit with it. I need to build a portfolio but I want to get a better camera first. I've done all of K's myself and been rather happy with them. I need to read up a bit to learn more about macro and stuff like that. Maybe we can encourage each other along the way!

Mommy Attorney said...

I think that's a great idea! It's great that you have the space to do it in. I love the picture of Mackenzie.