Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Growth Spurt?

So I guess I've been a little slack on posting these last couple of days. We are again without my little camera (this time it was Brannon who left it behind at another friend's house....UGH!!) I do have my fancy camera, so I may have to take some with that. For me it's just not as much fun to do posts without pictures. Maybe because deep down I'm more of a photographer by nature than a writer/blogger. Although, I think I've done pretty good writing my thoughts into my blog!
.
The latest in the world of Mackenzie is that I think she is going through a growth spurt. I think it's hard to tell for a). New mothers & b.) Mothers of babies who have a fussy tendency! Who knows if she's just being fussy or is hungrier than normal. Well, yesterday was HARD for me. A really rough day. Maybe one of the roughest (aside from those first few crazy weeks) days I've had. She was UNBELIEVABLY fussy throughout the afternoon. I couldn't get her happy for very long at all. I had planned to go to Target and Publix. Normally, this is a good experience. She loves to be on a buggy that is moving! Usually, she falls asleep and stays that way. Usually. But not yesterday. She cried in Target. She cried in the car. She got a little wore out and slept some in Publix. But then she cried as we were packing up the car. She cried on the way home. She cried when we got home. I fed her. She cried some more..... You get the point. I was about to pull my hair out. And while I'm being honest, I yelled out a frustrated "Oh My G__" at one point while holding her, maybe a little too loudly, which scared her and made her cry louder. Then, I felt terrible and started crying with her. Brannon made it home and relieved me a bit. We made it through the rest of the night, and into a new day. After she went to bed last night, I looked up growth spurts on the internet, and the first article that popped up said that growth spurts often occur around 3 months. Hmmm.... One symptom - fussiness. Check! It also said sleep patterns may be erratic. Check! (She had not been sleeping as well). Another sign...if sleep patterns are disrupted, the baby may be harder to relax or settle because she's overtired. Check!

Looks like we've got a little growing baby on our hands. Today is a new day. I think I'm going to feed her more and worry less about the schedule we'd established. Looks like things are changing again (my mom said once you get used to one stage, they are on to the next). We'll be creating a new schedule I guess ;)

Since I haven't taken any new photos this week, here's some photos I took a while back to compare her growth at week 5 & about week 12. I couldn't get her to stretch out in the second one, but you can at least see how her little legs have gotten a bit chubbier!

Week 5

Week 12

3 comments:

kregister said...

I feel ya! Ansley is doing the growth spurt thing too! She was sleeping 12 hrs a night and for the last 2 nights she has gotten up at 3 and 4 am for another bottle. I do hear that these "spurts" are just that...a spurt and that they are quick to pass. Of course, once it passes another one will come along! Ugh!!

Mommy Attorney said...

My new favorite Bible verse is "And it came to pass..." (Matt. 7:28a). M.P. had that three month horribleness. One night I was setting her down on the guest bed (getting ready to nurse her) and I did it a bit gruffly because I was so frustrated. It scared her - her arms flailed out because she felt like she was falling - and she went from crying to wailing. I felt so terrible and, like you, started crying along with her. In fact, just remembering that night has made me cry.

You are great mommy! It will pass!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing and for your candor! I appreciate hearing how things really are and what is to come. You are an amazing mom and Mackenzie is so blessed to have you! Keep up the great work and as you said, remember tomorrow is a new day! Look forward to seeing you soon!