Saturday, June 13, 2009

Trying to Take a Shower.....

Can be difficult when taking care of a baby. It gets easier, no doubt as they get older. But every now & then, you get thrown for a loop again!

Typically, I take my shower during her morning nap (ideally, I'd like to do it before she gets up in the morning, but somehow I can never get moving before she starts moving!). Well, on Friday morning, she seemed tired and I went to rock her as I typically do to help her wind down for the nap. She was squirming a ton, which usually indicates to me that she's trying to get comfy but the being held position isn't working for her. So, I go ahead and lay her in her bed. Sometimes, she just prefers to be in bed to go to sleep, other times she cries. I was prepared for crying, but none ensued. She was playing with her toys. Off to the shower I went thinking she'll play for a few minutes, maybe cry, and then go to sleep.

As I'm in the shower, I put her video monitor on a ledge in front of the shower so I can see the red/green lights while I'm in there. Everything seems good for a while, but I periodically check to see if she's gone to sleep or not. When I turn the video on at one point, I see she looks HUGE in the monitor. She's standing RIGHT nex to the monitor (it's on the top ledge, pretty high, of her crib wall). And then, suddenly I see the ceiling in the monitor! She had grabbed hold of it and pulled it down! HA! Then, I watched her flip it around giving me a roller coaster ride while watching it.

I was going to let her just play with it, but then got worried she might wrap herself up in the cord and choke. So, I jump out of the shower, thrown on a towel, and run dripping down to her room to put it back up at a higher point on her crib, and head back to the shower. A few minutes back in the shower and I see the camera go on a wild ride again! She couldn't reach it, but I think she stuck her hand through the slats and pulled it down by the cord. Out of the shower I go, and put it back on the edge and told her "NO, NO" very sternly. This time it worked, she settled down for her nap. I don't think it was because of my stern-ness, but because she was just exhausted by that point!

It only took two times running dripping down the hall to grab the monitor before I got to finish my shower. Not bad, I guess :P

No comments: