Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pre-Baby Weight

I've been meaning to post about this for awhile, but posts that require a lot of writing and no pictures (I do love my photography!) seem to get put off quite a bit. But alas, with no new pictures this morning, I thought it was time.

You see, I have found this wonderfully/horrible way to lose your pre-baby weight......become severely lactose intolerant/develop a severe milk allergy. Yep, that's right. Apparently, for some reason, my body handled all sorts of milk & lots of it before baby came. I ate cereal almost every morning, loved my fair share of ice cream, cheese on anything was a plus. Then, after I had Mackenzie I almost immediately started having GI issues.

Now, it took a while to narrow it down to milk products because for awhile when I first had her, I stopped having dairy because some people said it can be hard for babies to process if nursing and I was willing to try anything to decrease any fussiness! As I started to add dairy back to my diet, the GI issues increased. But, I figured I love me some dairy, so I just dealt with it. Until it got more severe (vomiting).

So, now I'm on a TOTALLY dairy free diet. And let me tell you, milk products are in EVERYTHING! So, at all the parties I've been to - no cookies, cupcakes, etc. No ice cream runs in the summer (well, I can eat sorbet, but that's much healthier....). It's quite an effective diet. Cravings are there, but when you're scared of a food poisoning type reaction, you choose not to eat those craved foods. I'm going to a GI doc, but so far, no results on some condition that can be fixed.

I write this mainly to see if anyone out there has experienced/heard of this. I'm just curious if this will fade or not. Problem is, the longer I go without it, the more sensitive I think I become, so I may never eat it again. And on top of that, I never feel like trying because who wants to risk being sick. Part of me hopes if I have another kid, it'll kick my system back to normal, but probably not. I'll probably become allergic to nuts or wheat or something and have even fewer things to eat. :( C'est la vie.

1 comment:

Mommy Attorney said...

That is crazy! I've never heard of that, but pregnancy is so weird, it doesn't really surprise me. Cutting out all dairy probably is a really good way to lose weight (and probably a good way to be healthier in general). But, I would miss ice cream.