Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Slacker....

Wow....I've sorta been slacking on this blog thing lately.....so unlike me! I'd like to say it's because I've been more attentive to other household chores, but based on the state of my house, I'm not sure that's the case. Actually, I've been thinking alot about blogging like normal - when things happen with Mackenzie, I think I should blog about this. But somehow it's not making it to the blog?!?! I think it's because I haven't been taking many pictures the last week or two (I know, I know......that is REALLY unlike me!!). I think about blogging and then realize there are no new pictures & I much prefer to include pictures with my blogs (the photographer in me, I guess!). But here's some things that are going on in our world:

1. I've started wondering if parenting will always be two steps forward....one step back? For instance, Mackenzie was eating wonderfully for about 3-4 days.....then suddenly became uninterested again. I was confused and almost force feeding her since she had been eating well. I had to catch myself from the force feeding realizing that would not help her enjoy the process and probably slow it down. I had thought about feeding her sweet potatoes this week, but if it's all coming back out again - who wants sweet potatoes everywhere. At least rice cereal is easy to get out of clothes! We'll see. I'm a bit bored with cereal, so real food (well, of the pureed variety) may be sooner rather than later in our world. She is taking a little in the morning now and some at night (when she decides to eat it that is).

2. I also often wonder how much Mackenzie understands about her world & is able to manipulate it. For instance, last night I put her down & she kept waking up. I would go back in and put her pacifier in and see if that did the trick. She was fighting sleep though, so it was happening a good bit. Brannon offered to go up. She suddenly went from whiny cries to screams. I started wondering.....does she know Daddy is a softie and will get me out of my crib? I went upstairs and told him that she might need to cry a little and then we'll go back in and give her the paci & that I thought she might think he would pick her up. He said, "Yeah, I was just about to pick her up when you came in!" Needless to say, she calmed down. We still had to go in and give her the paci, but the frantic screams were gone. Smart little cookie? Trying to manipulate Daddy? Maybe.......

3. Everyone knows that every baby is different. But being around the babies in our community group on a weekly basis drives this point home for me. I've also realized that our attitudes toward their personalities can be relative. For instance, one baby (2 weeks older than Mackenzie - so very close in age) is a very calm baby. She's been sleeping for 12 hours a night for months & rarely cries & sits happily in laps for extended periods. Well, at group, her mom seemed a little disappointed that she isn't rolling over consistently. I said - well it's just because she's a very chill baby (& my exhausted self thinks this sounds like a great thing) and doesn't have as much desire to roll all around. Her mom said....yeah you might say chill, or maybe she's just lazy! To which I said, well we all know Mackenzie is active......but some might call it high maintenance. So, I've decided that you can focus on the positive (chill/active) or the negative (lazy/high maintenance). Your choice! Every personality has it's quirks.

Well, that's enough pontificating for now......off to feed a baby!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Not sure if you read my blog after her 6 month check up with all her stats or not ... but one thing we are facing is the eating issue. I'm not sure if Mackenzie has ever been officially diagnosed with reflux or not but she could have the silent kind. She may not cry when she spits but it could be what is keeping her from eating. At least that is what our Dr said about Kennedy. We put her back on her zantac and she has been eating like a champ! We also mixed prunes in with her oatmeal (can't do rice b/c of her constipation issues) and she eats so much better. So far she has has prunes and peas which is against everything I was told with the boys. Then it was do your cereal then your green veggies, then orange/yellow veggies then fruit. But our doctor here pretty much told us to insert fruit early to get her to eat her veggies ... who knows? Anyway, just thought I'd tell you that about the reflux. She told me that her throat could be burning and that's why she is not wanting to eat!

Mommy Attorney said...

You are a genius about #3. MP is very chill - sounds just like your friend's baby. She just started consistently rolling overa few weeks ago, and I was completely freaked out, and had wondered to myself whether she was lazy. But chill is such a better way of thinking about it. Thanks!

Oh, and #1? I think everything is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Sleeping certainly has been for us.

Sarah said...

Very interesting! I like reading about the milestones and lessons. And I very much appreciate your point about perspective when it comes to how you see your own child. That's all good food for thought. I finally posted on my blog (after months), so you can catch up. I allowed the boys to each do a post as well. Maybe that will give people a small glimpse into my world.

Sarah said...

random question...how do I change the color font on my blog? Also, have fun at lunch!