Well, after my mid-week freak out post on my teeny little baby's weight problem, I figured some of you out there reading might like an update..... Brannon & I really felt that we should probably go ahead and start supplementing more with formula as well as attempt to feed her more baby food as quickly as she'll take it while taking the prevacid for acid reflux. I know this is the right decision, but I was a bit disappointed since I know supplementing will drive down supply, so in essence to supplement more was a decision to begin to wean her. I think my mixed emotions about this have various reasons. For one, I wanted to breastfeed as long as I could since it's best in general for them & best to prevent allergies (we have a family history of bad allergies). Second, I think it was a little sad because it means she's growing up and this period of her life is over. Now, I love each stage & know that I'll love her more & more as she gets older, but it's a bit sad to think you'll never have this stage again. But alas, that would happen at 6 months or if I weaned her at a year.
That said, I thought it would be a shame to wean her if it really wasn't a supply problem and the prevacid did the trick. So, I did attempt to pump this weekend for 24 hours to see where we stood on that. And, I am a bit low. Now, whether I was low naturally or if her reflux caused her to eat less over the course of some weeks and drove my supply down, we'll never know I guess. But, at least I know for sure that from a quantity stand point, she needs to be getting formula at this point. Breast may be best, but not if there's not enough! C'est la vie.
After a few days on prevacid, she is eating better all around. Feeding food (all types, not just sweet potatoes) has gotten much easier. Quantities are increasing. I wanted to add a green vegetable tomorrow, but due to significant diet changes (formula, applesauce, more rice cereal), little miss priss is suffering with a bit of constipation. Ooops! So, the nurse told me today to give her oatmeal instead of rice cereal, so we have to wait a few days to make sure there's no reaction to that before I can give her some peas! But we'll get there.
April 26 - Hunker Down Day 45
6 years ago


1 comment:
Having had two reflux babies I know that that has a lot to do with your supply. I had to stop nursing Kennedy at 3 1/2 months. I cried and cried. I wanted soooo bad to nurse her longer but her other issues caused me to have to stop. With Ryan the reflux caused my supply to be low so I nursed him for 5 months. I know your emotional roller coaster!
Kennedy eats oatmeal as well. We didn't even do rice with her b/c she already has constipation issues. You can mix a little prunes with the oatmeal and it will help with the constipation.
Glad to hear that she is eating better.
Post a Comment