Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Baby Food

I am proud to say that Mackenzie has FINALLY mastered the spoon. It only took, what, 3 weeks (a month?) of trying! But starting the last few days, she is happily taking the rice cereal from the spoon and swallowing it! Persistance pays off! Our doctor had recommended 5 months for starting solids - I started earlier though in hopes to fatten her up a bit! With a few weeks of effort she started eating at 5 months! I wonder if I had waited would she have started right off, or would it still have taken a few weeks? Who knows!?! But the last few nights she's been consistently eating her tablespoon serving of rice cereal :)

Over the past month, while waiting for her to adjust to the spoon, I had been contemplating homemade vs. jar baby food. I think I really wanted to be one of those moms who does the homemade route, but really it's just not me. The realization was when I told Brannon I was thinking of going the homemade route.....and he said "why?!?!?" I mean, it's really not our style! Neither of us are particularly into preparing even our own food! We try to eat healthly, but mostly that involves eating less not watching every item/nutrient that going into our bodies. I was a bit concerned about the additives in the baby food - my main reason for considering the homemade route. But I saw yesterday on the stage 1 foods that the ingredients were only the veggie/fruit & water. I think when they start combining veggies/fruits with grains & meats that they have to add the other junk to make it last in the jar. So, maybe by stage 2, I'll try the homemade route at least a little bit. Maybe we'll end up doing a combo. But for now, there are Gerber sweet potatoes & squash in the pantry for us to try in about a week!

On another note, since our style might not be the homemade food route - I told myself yesterday while I was thinking about my jarred food, that not making the food gave us more time to do something that is our style......going outside and enjoying the outdoors. 70+ degrees yesterday, I was really hot on the walk! I really do love taking her outdoors & she seems to love it too! So, less time in the kitchen = hopefully more time outdoors (I know some of you out there who make your own will tell me it's not that involved.....you're probably right, but for me it sounds daunting!). Here's some pictures from a walk we took with the girls/babies from our community group at church a few weeks back. (And I think the group shot is a visual representation of why my daughter might be in the 5th percentile! HA!!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Never even considered the homemade route so I won't tell you its not that involved!! Although, I did try some once at a baby shower that had a demonstration. Peas and mint ... quite yummy. I had a blast planning michael's menu from the jars in the grocery store .. it was so much fun picking out the fruits and veggies and by the time they get to the higher stages, there is pasta primavera and all kinds of good stuff!!!

MAINLY I'm commenting b/c your photos from the walk made me laugh ... I read all about your high maintenance/active little girl ... but when I see you with the baby bjorn AND the stroller AND you are holding her, as opposed to her riding in the stroller, in all of the pics it made me realize that you probably aren't exaggerating one little bit!

Cute stories, as usual. She's getting prettier every day - good job mom!!!

Mommy Attorney said...

M.P. has started refusing to eat my babyfood. I have to take Gerber to daycare - they only accept sealed food - and she just really prefers that better. I just buy the organic kind and hope for the best.

I did buy the first "Turkey/Barley/Veggie" meal thing the other day. I haven't tried giving it to her yet because I just can't imagine eating something like that. Of course I can't imagine eating liquid green beans either.