Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Joys of Being One Year Old

We are definitely loving this stage that Mackenzie is in right now.  I can't tell you how many times Brannon & I have said to ourselves that we would just love to press the pause button at this age because she is just so sweet & it's so much fun to watch her learning & growing.

BUT......every age has its rough patches, and for
 us that is now getting to witness her little
 meltdowns when she pitches a fit.  Typically, this comes when she has been told no to something she really wants.  I'm trying hard to ignore it (like the Dr. suggested at her one year.....) and have varying levels of success with it.  Daddy has a harder time letting the fit go on & he likes to distract her with other goodies.  Already wrapped around her finger.  Mommy, being with her all day, has learned (sometimes, there is no absolute in parenting....at least for me!) to walk away.  I think (??) it helps?

Anyways, I couldn't resist documenting yesterday morning's fit which was due to being pulled out of the doggie crate and having the door shut so she couldn't go back inside.  My struggle with these fits is - picking my battles & being consistent.  I mean, probably wouldn't kill her to get in the doggie crate, but then again it's probably pretty gross.  Who knows the last time I cleaned up in there!  And then, tomorrow if I'm busy cleaning or something I may not want to deal with a fit and let her get away with stuff.  I think learning to let some things go & then being consistent is my goal for now........

No comments: