Thursday, April 30, 2009

What a Day!

Well, I finally have had THAT day.  This will be one I'll rattle off in years to come whenever anyone talks about how life is just crazy difficult with a little one.  All in all, nothing bad happened, so don't worry......but here's how today went down.

Started off normal (well after the two false starts this morning).  Bottle, playtime, breakfast, playtime (yes she likes to play!), nap, bottle, & get dressed for the day.  We were meeting our friends Ali & baby Mady Kay at Chick-fil-a for lunch & then Babies-R-Us shopping afterwards.  So, off we drive to lunch.

At Chick-fil-A, things were going pretty well.  We were fortunately located in the far corner of the restaurant, and were making quite a mess - toys on the floor, puffs on the floor, babies with food all over their mouths & refusing to eat much.  You know, the usual.  Mackenzie really didn't want to eat, I guess it was just too stimulating in there.  And I even brought her faves, Squash & a fruit (all fruits fall in the faves category).  She barely ate half of each.  Then, she wants out of her chair, so I'm holding her while trying to eat myself.  She gets hold of a napkin, which I usually don't let her play with because she might eat it.  Well, she was mainly tearing it so I gave in since I was hungry.  Then, it found it's way into her mouth.  I took it out, but thought a piece may have stayed behind in her mouth.  Not wanting her to eat/choke on it, I stuck my finger in her mouth to see if I could feel it & make sure it wasn't a large piece.  Now, I'm not sure if my finger in her mouth caused the next thing or the paper (which I didn't feel so it may have been down in her throat) but she started gagging and I didn't know if she was having trouble breathing or what.  Then.....PROJECTILE vomiting ALL over the floor, her seat cover, some on me, and conveniently none on her!  After I realized she was breathing fine and the vomiting didn't bother her, I just had to laugh.  I was so relieved that she was alive & breathing that I didn't care if we had vomit EVERYWHERE.  Now, I am quite accustomed to spit up, but this was definitely vomit.  There was a TON of it.....basically her whole lunch.  The Chick-fil-A lady was none too thrilled to help us with the cleanup - I'm going to assume she doesn't have children because we had to look like quite the ragamuffin group in need of help which another mother would understand!  I did manage to get her to eat the remaining halves of the Squash & fruit since suddenly there was more room in her tummy :P

We were not deterred.  We cleaned up well & proceeded on to Babies-R-Us.  Mackenzie was in terrific spirits (well mostly, with an occasional whine when she needed more mommy attention!).  Unfortunately, I have a way of spending WAY too much time in that store.  And between Ali & I, we were enjoying ourselves.  I needed a gift & wanted to grab something from a previous aisle, so I left Ali with the babies & when I came back she said she thought Mackenzie needed a diaper change (she has a way of grunting and making a very obvious face when she does her business these days).  Well, I look down, and see that her diaper cover has become discolored.  Again, I had to laugh.....very appropriate to have a diaper leak with the craziness of the day.  So, off we go to the changing room.  I realize there, that it has leaked so badly that her carseat is wet.  Now, we've had leaks, but usually just onto the clothing.  NEVER all the way through the clothing to the seat! Just a wet leak though (thankfully), so I did have one thing go my way!

We made it outta there & wouldn't you know it - Atlanta traffic.  Our excursion became so long that we were now in rush hour traffic :(  Fortunately, Mackenzie was WORN out.  She slept the WHOLE way home.  Poor thing.  Mommy will not let her eat napkins at Chick-fil-A again or forget to change her diaper when we are out for so long!  Live & Learn.  I'm just glad I had a friend with me.  Made it easier to laugh than to cry!

1 comment:

Mommy Attorney said...

Oh my goodness - I had to laugh as well. You guys had quite a day. I've never had a diaper blow out through the clothes and onto the car seat! What a mess! Glad you kept your sense of humor.