As a new mother, I knew that babies were supposed to be on their tummies for a little bit of time each day to increase their neck muscle strength (this is new in the baby world since babies now sleep on their backs, unlike when I was a baby and mothers were supposed to lie them on their stomachs.....). Well, I figured this didn't start right away.....so a few (sleepless) weeks go by and I decide I finally have a minute to look up the information about tummy time online (when to start, how long, how often, etc) so I would be on top of it. The first thing I read was that babies can (should?) start this as early as the first week? Ooops, I was already late and failing as a mother! Well, not really that bad.....we started around week 3. She was not a big fan the first few times, but by week 4 - it was improving (I discovered giving her the pacifier helped make the event less traumatic!). She help her head up like a champ and moved it to face the other side, which made her happy. However, trying to move it back to the other side proved more difficult and she landed with her head in the blanket. This made her mad, and she started trying to move all her limbs and managed to flip from her stomach to her back! This made her happy again :) I know you'll say this was a random flip and she hasn't reached the milestone yet....but she has done it two more times since then. My little genius! Here's how the event went down.....
Starting slow......just warming up

Success! Head turned to other side :)

Pleased with her success!

Uh-oh.....it is harder to go back to the other side apparently :(
And we flipped over - tummy time is done for the day!


1 comment:
I'm very impressed. I did a whole post on tummy-time. M.P. will only do it for approximately .2 seconds before completely losing it. And she's never flipped, so I will have to agree that Mackenzie is a genius!
Post a Comment