Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Isn't It Ironic......

Ask anyone in my family, I've always had a thing with puke. Since I was a kid. First time my sister vomited in the bed next to me at night, I ran and hid in a closet to get away from it all! Well, into adulthood, married life, etc - it still grosses me out past the point of a normal human (I know everyone thinks its gross). I just COULD NOT watch it, hear it, be around it.

And now....I think I have a child that can force herself to vomit. The irony struck me. She's always had a bit of an aversion to most vegetable purees. Sometimes she cry, other times a fake gag. I'd feed her a bit of something she'd like and sneak in the veggie from time to time. I thought we were making progress. Well, this afternoon, while eating mangoes & peas & seeming to be okay with the situation. She did her fake gag after a couple bites of peas towards the end of the meal. Then, she coughed and proceeded to projetile vomit a large portion of her meal. Isolated incident I thought. Stopped lunch and moved on.

Fast forward to dinner. I'm excited to have made her first homemade vegetable puree - zucchini. I was tired of the 4 choices (okay, maybe 5) of vegetables made by Gerber. 3 of which she didn't like! So, I serve her the zucchini, a turkey dinner and some rice cereal. She's was having almost none of it. After no more than a couple bites of each, gagging ensues, and vomit flies. Okay. Point taken. The irony here is literally yesterday, we hung out with our friends Ali & Mady Kay. Mady Kay had JUST started doing the same thing this weekend. Did they discuss their plan to make life difficult for mommies!?!?

Okay. We'll take a break from undesired foods. I won't press it too hard in the future. One gag & I'll stop, I promise! I believe she'll eat it eventually....

Then comes bedtime. She takes her bottle. I rock her. I transfer her to crib. She wakes up. I walk out. She pulls to standing. Starts crying. Proceeds to screaming. I hear coughing. Go to check on her. VOMIT! UGH!

Now, you may think she's actually sick (I did!). I get her out. Turn on lights. Clean her up. And rock her. Less than one mintue & she's smiling, "talking" to me, pointing at my nose, gazing around the room, and having a marvelous time. HMMM....... She did eventually fall asleep, did not wake on transfer and is still asleep in her crib. WHEW. What a day.

Time for a little internet research on this phenomenon. Well from my unofficial research, it seems the general consensus out there is that reflux babies often have overactive/sensitive gag reflexes, food aversions, etc. I had taken her off Prevacid because she was gaining well & I didn't want to medicate her if it was unnecessary. Tomorrow, she'll be back on Prevacid to see if that helps settle her tummy. Otherwise, I may start wearing a raincoat during feedings :P

2 comments:

Mommy Attorney said...

Wow - I have never heard of that! Thank goodness MP hasn't figured out that trick!

I am a sympathetic vomitter. (A term I coined). If I see someone vomit, nine times out of ten I join them.

kregister said...

Hilarious! Ansley does the "fake" gagging thing too...I used to continue the feedings anyway, but learned my lesson when it would all come back up! Now, one gag and I stop. I think these little girls are trying to tell us something..... ha!